Are Your Windows and Doors Ready for the Cold in Terre Haute, IN?
Whether or not you are ready, the colder weather is arriving in Terre Haute and you still have time to make sure your windows and doors are prepped for winter. Regularly inspecting your windows and doors can help ensure that your home stays comfortable and helps save on energy bills.
What steps can you take to prepare your windows and doors for colder temperatures?
- Ensure your windowsills and all the moving parts are clean – Dirt and debris left in windowsills or the moving parts on your windows and doors can reduce the tightness and seal when closed.
- Examine your weather stripping – Weather stripping helps to eliminate air from coming back in the home when windows and doors are closed. It can become loose or torn over time, so take a look and reattach any loose portions or replace sections that are torn.
- Reapply caulk or sealant around windows and doors – Rain, water and sunlight can harm exterior sealants and caulk. Get rid of damaged material and apply new sealant.
- Repair or replace damaged exterior surfaces – Evaluate the exterior surface of your windows and doors for signs of moisture leaking, that could include cracked or deteriorated wood. Replacing the damaged wood will help keep cold air and moisture from coming back into your home.
- Install storm doors – Storm doors offers an additional layer of defense from air and moisture and improves energy performance.
- Install snap-in blinds or shades – Not only does this improve your privacy, but it also helps to insulate the home.
- Upgrade to energy-efficient windows and doors – If you still have single-pane glass, clear glass, or your windows and doors are older, your heating bills may be higher than they need to be. Our experts can talk to you about newer, energy-efficient windows and doors.
If you want more information about preparing your home for winter, contact your local Showroom in Terre Haute at 812-234-0729.