Tips to Help Prevent Termite Damage in Wood Windows in Terre Haute, IN
There’s no question that wood windows can add warmth and help enhance the visual aesthetics in your home. One concern homeowners have with wood windows is the potential for termite damage. Termites get a lot of their nutrition from wood, which could cause homeowners a lot of problems when it comes to structural damage.
So what can you do to help prevent termite damage?
The best way to help prevent termite damage is to remove or decrease the opportunity for termites to get in the immediate area of your home. Here are a few ideas from Pella Windows and Doors on how you can help reduce the probability of termite infestation.
- Keep Brush Away From Your House – Try to keep the ground area around your house free of any brush or rotting wood. Termites will use this as a route to get to the house. Particularly for windows on the lower level, keep leaves, dirt and other brush away from the foundation and house.
- Properly Vent Your Home – Termites also look for water and moisture, so it’s crucial to make sure your home, including small crawl spaces, are properly ventilated and encourage air to flow.
- Clean Out Gutters – Full gutters create pools of water that are also attractive to termites, and conveniently for the termites— are nearby the home. Make sure you don’t have standing water or leaves and sticks in your gutters.
- Fix Foundation Cracks – Seal up or fill any cracks in the foundation of your home. Most termites develop their colonies in the ground, making your home’s foundation their greatest chance to enter the home.
- Protect Your Wood – Pella Terre Haute has EnduraGuard® wood protection which offers innovative protection against the effects of moisture, decay, stains from mold and mildew – as well as termite damage.
- Call a Professional – Pest control firms can check out your home for any current termite infestations or damage, and install the right protection system for your home.
If you want more information on wood windows and what steps you should take to help avert any damage, visit the Terre Haute showroom or set up an appointment online to have one of our specialists give you a free in-home consultation. You can call Pella Windows and Doors at 812-234-0729 to get started and make wood windows a reality in your home.